[Python-Dev] Making builtins more efficient

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 10:47:55 CET 2006

Steven Elliott wrote:
> I'm interested in how builtins could be more efficient.  I've read over
> some of the PEPs having to do with making global variables more
> efficient (search for "global"):
>     http://www.python.org/doc/essays/pepparade.html
> But I think the problem can be simplified by focusing strictly on
> builtins.

Unfortunately, builtins can currently be shadowed in the module global
namespace from outside the module (via constructs like "import mod; mod.str =
my_str"). Unless/until that becomes illegal, focusing solely on builtins
doesn't help - the difficulties lie in optimising builtin access while
preserving the existing name shadowing semantics.

PEP 280 seems to be about as simple as an approach can get while still
possessing the correct semantics.

Cheers,
Nick.