[Python-Dev] ctypes is in SVN now.

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Mar 10 01:14:50 CET 2006

On 3/9/06, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:

> Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > On 3/9/06, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:
> >> ctypes is in SVN now, and the buildbot is green,
> >

> > Well, only by accident; Neal's amd64 machine has been offline, or you
> would
> > have seen yellow blocks for warnings: ctypes has yet to be
> Py_ssize_t'ed. Do
>
> Do compiler warnings create yellow blocks?  There are other warnings on
> other machines
> as well.  OTOH, testing ctypes (see below) can cause core dumps, these
> should create
> orange blinking blocks ;-)

I thought they did, but I guess I was wrong :) Or maybe just the header
turns orange (not yellow.)

> you want to do that yourself, or do you want me to submit a patch? (Or I
> > could just check it in ;)
>
> You can do it faster then me, I assume - so go ahead and check it in.
> I'll backport it to the upstream ctypes CVS repository.

I'm not sure if I'll be faster. It's quite a lot of work to make it
completely Py_ssize_t-aware (but worth it, IMHO; ints just don't cut it on
64-bit platforms. :) I have a simple patch to silence the warnings, but it
doesn't support indexing beyond int-size and such. I'm also going through
all of the code and changing most appropriate things into Py_ssize_t's, and
that would be much nicer. I'll probably have some XXX markers left when I'm
done, though. Also, how stable should the C API be? Does the C code have any
direct users besides Python?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!