[Python-Dev] Developing/patching ctypes (was: Re: integrating ctypes into python)

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 06:38:48 CET 2006

On 3/9/06, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:
> Would it be a solution to move the 'official' ctypes development into
> Python SVN external/ctypes, or would this be considered abuse?  Another
> location in SVN could be used as well, if external is though to contain
> only vendor drops...

Thomas,

I'd be fine with the official ctypes repo being Python SVN.

The attached patch fixes all the ctypes tests so they pass on amd64.
It also fixes several warnings.  I'm not sure what else to do with the
patch.  Let me know how you want to handle these in the future.

I'm not sure the patch is 100% correct.  You will need to decide what
can be 64 bits and what can't.  I believe
sq_{item,slice,ass_item,ass_slice} all need to use Py_ssize_t.  The
types in ctypes.h may not require all the changes I made.  I don't
know how you want to support older version, so I unconditionally
changed the types to Py_ssize_t.