[Python-Dev] About "Coverity Study Ranks LAMP Code Quality"

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 08:56:43 CET 2006

On 3/14/06, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Neal Norwitz]
> > The public report says 15, but the current developer report shows 12.
> > I'm not sure why there is a discrepancy.  All 12 are in ctypes which
> > was recently imported.
>
> I'm having a really hard time making sense of the UI on this.  When I

The UI is, um, a little less than intuitive.

> looked at the Python project just now (I can log in, so guess that's
> what you called the "developer report" above), I see 13 "error" rows,

Yes, the reports developers can see when they log in.

> and none of them referencing ctypes.  OTOH, maybe you'd count this as
> zero rows, since there are none left with BUG or UNINSPECTED status.

After you login, you can click View Runs.  Then click the link in the
Results column, currently it's 50 for Run 19 (the top row).  Now you
should be looking at all the results.  For me the top 10 rows or so
are UNCONFIRMED all for ctypes.  But to make the categories clearer,
use the Group By option menu at the top and select Status.  Then the
table will provide a table where each category is shown a little
clearer.

Click on the View links to see the actual code with the warnings
annotated inline.

> I'm not much inclined to look at more of these -- I probably waited so
> long that all we have left are false positives?  If not, and somebody
> wants me to look at one, point it out specifically ;-)

Yes, most of the problems have been resolved.  The one you pointed out
is bogus.  There's another dead code one, but it's in generated code
(an extra if (! value) return NULL;) so who cares.

Since there's no problem in any of your code AFAIK, I'll let you off
the hook. :-)

There really weren't that many reports and I believe most have been
reviewed by more than one person.