[Python-Dev] Py3k: Except clause syntax

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Fri Mar 17 04:32:54 CET 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Baptiste Carvello wrote:
>
>> what about
>>
>>      except <type> with <value>:
>>
>> a program dies "with" an error message, not "as" an error message.
>
> No. The exception object you're catching *is* the value,
> not something which *has* a value. I maintain that "as"
> is the correct word to use here.
>
> Greg

I think it reads well with "as" also.  +1

To me it's a filter statement.  So would catching multiple exceptions
have the form:

The value is bound to the name if it's type is in the sequence.  This
would be an indirect assignment similar to.

       if value in list: name = value

Which you can't do directly because you don't have access to the value
yet.  That's not too different than import which is also an indirect
name binding operation of a value you don't have yet.

Cheers,
    Ron