[Python-Dev] Problem with module loading on multi-arch?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 12:50:36 CET 2006

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> 1. Does it make sense to have both
>>
>> <site-dep>/app/subpackage
>>  and
>> <site-indep>/app/subpackage
>> ?
>>
>> My answer: definitely yes.  We already agree that we should have both
>> site-dep for binary code and site-indep for python code, so there is no
>> way to avoid this.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. What is site-dep
> and site-indep? Where do we have that for binary code and for python
> code? I know what prefix and exec_prefix are.
>
>> 2. What should the module search do?
>>
>> I don't know the details of the current algorithm, but clearly it's going
>> to have to deal correctly with the above.
>
> It's very simple. Importing traverses sys.path.
>
>> One possibility (and maybe this is how it already works?) is that the
>> module search doesn't know anything about site-dep/site-indep, it simply
>> has a list of paths to search.
>
> Well, I don't know about site-dep/site-indep, so I wouldn't be surprised
> if module search didn't, either.

Sorry, maybe I used confusing terminology.

A reference is here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python
This is the current setup.  For example, this is a standard macro used by
Redhat in RPM SPEC files for python:

%define python_sitearch %(%{__python} -c "from distutils.sysconfig import
get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)")}

%define python_sitelib %(%{__python} -c "from distutils.sysconfig import
get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()")}

Clearly this practice is widespread.  It would seem that module search needs
some modification to fully support it.