[Python-Dev] Problem with module loading on multi-arch?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 01:38:29 CET 2006

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> Sorry, maybe I used confusing terminology.
>>
>> A reference is here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python
>> This is the current setup.  For example, this is a standard macro used by
>> Redhat in RPM SPEC files for python:
>>
>> %define python_sitearch %(%{__python} -c "from distutils.sysconfig import
>> get_python_lib; print get_python_lib(1)")}
>>
>> %define python_sitelib %(%{__python} -c "from distutils.sysconfig import
>> get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()")}
>>
>> Clearly this practice is widespread.  It would seem that module search
>> needs some modification to fully support it.
>
> Ah. That isn't supported at all, at the moment. Redhat should not be
> using it. Instead, there shouldn't be a difference between sitearch and
> sitelib.

x86_64 is multiarch.  That means, we allow both i386 and x86_64 binaries to
coexits.  Is the proposal that python should not support this?  That would
be unfortunate.

I suspect is would not be that difficult to correctly support multiarch
platforms.  As it is, this usually works - but the example I gave above
shows where it seems to break.