[Python-Dev] Expose the array interface in Python 2.5?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Mar 18 05:46:14 CET 2006

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> The former seems fairly pointless, and the latter difficult (since it has
> implications for moving the data store when the array gets resized).

I don't see why that should be a serious problem, as
long as it's understood that the address reported by
the array interface is only for temporary use.

I also don't see what relevance the semantics of
Python indexing or mutation has. The array interface
should just report the location and shape of the
data as it happens to be when the call is made.
What happens to it in between times is entirely
up to the object.

Greg