[Python-Dev] Long-time shy failure in test_socket_ssl

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:53:33 CET 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> On 3/19/06, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If anyone sees spurious failures with the buildbot (one time failures,
>>> crashes, etc), please report the problems to python-dev.  It would be
>>> great to see if you can reproduce the results with the same tests that
>>> failed.  We need to determine if it is architecture specific,
>>> test-order related, or something else.
>> One-shot segfaults are still common enough on the Mac box, like the very recent:
>> <http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/all/g4%20osx.4%202.4/builds/18/step-test/0>
>
> Most of the recent failures seem to be related to threads.  the most
> recent info is below.  There's a lot more in case if it can help
> someone debug.  It seems that one thread is in pthread_cond_wait and
> another thread is in PyObject_Call.

Hrrm, test_thread_state hands an object pointer off to a different thread
without INCREF'ing it first. Could there be a race condition with the
deallocation of arguments at the end of test_thread_state?

Specifically, that trace looks to me like the spawned thread is trying to call
the function passed in while the main thread is trying to delete the argument
tuple passed to test_thread_state.

Cheers,
Nick.