[Python-Dev] GeneratorExit inheriting from Exception

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 20 16:32:28 CET 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 15:37 -0800, Brett Cannon wrote:

> > Actually, this prompts me to write about an issue I have with PEP 352.
> > I actually don't think it's necessary (yes, I know it's already in the
> > tree).
> >

> Much to personal pain and sprint time.  Are you trying to make me shed
> a manly tear, Barry?!?  =)

> So it isn't that PEP 352 is unnecessary since there is nothing here
> about deprecating string execptions and making built-in exceptions
> new-style.  You just want to change the renaming of the exceptions.

Yes, sorry Brett!  No the other things about PEP 352 are all good, and I
was only commenting about the new hierarchy changes.  I still don't like
that part of the PEP, but I appreciate the competing compromises being
made so I can live with it for Python 2.x.

> I still like my idea of a ControlFlowException, but that died with PEP
> 348 (along with part of my innocence).

Good!  The sooner you replace that with soul-crushing defeatism the
happier you will be!

> Just remember that PEP 348 was meant for Py3K when we are supposed to
> break stuff and how much resistence I hit.  Granted my changes were
> more radical, but even in the end, small changes were resisted
> heavily.  In other words, make sure you have the time and energy to
> take this on.  =)

I know all about soul-crushing PEP championship, which is why I'm such a
happy person. :)

-Barry