[Python-Dev] GeneratorExit inheriting from Exception

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Mar 20 17:18:33 CET 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>
>> One possible approach is to revert BaseException out of Py2.5,
>> re-position KeyboardInterrupt, and add Error as an alias for
>> StandardError.  Then we can encourage people to start using Error as the
>> base classes for their own errors.
>
> Also maybe start issuing warnings whenever you inherit directly from
> Exception.

-1 -- I occasionally use exceptions as a multi-loop break.  That's a
perfectly valid Python practice, those exceptions should inherit from
Exception, and there should not be any warnings raised.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis