[Python-Dev] r43214 - peps/trunk/pep-3000.txt

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Mar 22 10:34:25 CET 2006

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:

> neal.norwitz wrote:
>
>> +Outstanding Issues
>> +==================
>> +
>> +* Require C99, so we can use // comments, named initializers, declare variables
>> +  without introducing a new scope, among other benefits.
>
> gcc only, in other words ?

Heh, I was going to make this point as well: it's not clear that MSVC
will ever support C99.  It supports some of the features listed here,
of course, but probably won't support everything.

>> +* Remove support for old systems, including: OS2, BeOS, RISCOS, (SGI) Irix, Tru64
>
> what's old with tru64 ?  it's not that uncommon in places where Python
> has a strong presence, you can still buy AXP hardware throughout 2006,
> and HP says they'll keep developing and supporting the software platform
> at least through 2011.

And we still have someone actively interested in maintaining the OS2
port, it seems.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I never disputed the Perl hacking skill of the Slashdot creators.
  My objections are to the editors' taste, the site's ugly visual