[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Mar 28 15:59:11 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 17:59 +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> This came up before (back in October 2004!) but didn't go anywhere
> since, AFAICR. Do we want to consider including pysqlite in Python
> 2.5? It's the only DB adaptor that I'd really consider suitable for
> shipping with the distribution, because it's self-contained.

SQLite/pysqlite is an awesome combination, and I do think it would make
for a more compelling Python distribution.  I've used it in several
projects, usually with great success.  My only hesitation is that in one
project, we've had to stick with SQLite 3.2.1 and pysqlite 1.1.6 because
we encountered some concurrency problems when trying to upgrade the
former to 3.2.8.  We couldn't upgrade both to the latest versions due to
external project management constraints.

But I'm not sure that's enough of a reason to vote against inclusion, so
I guess I'm +0.  Having Gerhard accept maintainership definitely pushes
it from -0 to +0 in my mind.  It's got lots of unit tests, so the only
thing I'd probably want to see are Python docs for the module.  I think
Gerhard could still do more frequent releases if he wanted to -- I do
that with the email package, and while it's a bit of a PITA, it's
doable.

Either sqlite or sqlitedb are fine names.

-Barry