[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed Mar 29 10:44:50 CEST 2006

Neal Norwitz wrote:
> On 3/28/06, Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>
>>>Even better, the authors should be willing to keep the version in
>>>Python synchronized with the separate release.
>>
>>In particular, I would then synchronize changes that have proven stable
>>in the standalone release to the Python core sqlite module. I think this
>>is how Barry does it with the email module, too.
>
> Everything Gerhard has said sounds good.  From what I read it seems
> that it might be good to add pysqlite to the stdlib eventually.
> Overall, I'm +0 on the idea.  It seems everyone is pretty positive on
> the concept.
>
> However, I'm -0 on adding this to 2.5.  We've already got a lot of
> changes.  I don't want us to keep piling more on.  Also I thought I
> saw Gerhard say that there were some other things he wanted to finish
> and the timing might work better for him to defer a bit.

My current and future plans for pysqlite are really only additional
features, like wrapping the rest of the SQLite API.

> Some of these things sounded like API changes which may be more problematic
> once in the core as we may have stricter rules on backwards
> compatibility.

All my plans for pysqlite are adding more methods to the API, so I see
no backwards compatibility problems.

> We also have to convert the doc from ReST to latex.  None of these are
> show stoppers, but it adds to the amount of work we need to do before
> release.  And there's already more work than we can handle.

I understand your concern for keeping the amount of work for a 2.5
release manageable. So as Anthony Baxter said he'd like to work with me
to make this happen, then I think he and I can try to not overload other
people with more work.

Creating latex docs sounds like I could do it, too. What I'd personally
like to offload are these two tasks:

- integreting pysqlite into the Python build process
- in particular the win32 build process

I would have access to Linux and win32 development machines with MS
VS2003, but I don't have enough experience with the Python build process
to not make stupid mistakes here.

-- Gerhard