[Python-Dev] I'm not getting email from SF when assignedabug/patch

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Mar 29 18:24:07 CEST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:52:07 +0200, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>Georg Brandl wrote:
>
>> Generally, I like Trac very much, especially for its interconnected subsystems.
>> I've used it with smaller projects, and there it works perfectly.
>
>> Having said that, I don't know if the Trac ticket system (which would be the
>> most important subsystem for us) scales up well enough.
>
>I'm completely fail to see why a Trac server shouldn't scale up at least as
>well as the SF-hosted Python tracker...  (I mean, we're talking about one
>project, not 116,757 ...)

One reason might be the lack of paging for tickets.  Viewing ~600 tickets at once (approximately the number of open tickets in Twisted's tracker) serves up a 2MB page.  How many open tickets does Python have? :)

Another reason is that the currently released version hemorrhage memory pretty badly (sometimes ~30MB for a single HTTP request).  This is better in trunk at HEAD, but I don't think it's entirely resolved yet.

Not that I am suggesting these and the other problems like them are unfixable, but someone will have to fix them, and whoever is going to have to admin the installation should be aware that there will be some issues.

Jean-Paul