[Python-Dev] I'm not getting email from SF when assignedabug/patch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 29 21:13:45 CEST 2006

On 3/29/06, Wolfgang Langner <tds333+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
[Barry]
> > I'll just point out that Atlassian has offered us free hosting for a
> > Jira/Confluence solution (plus svn and other stuff we may or may not
> > want).  I personally support this option, but I know (and accept!) that
> > there are differing opinions.
>
> It is a Java system. Why promote Java solutions for python ?
> I think there are good python solutions for a bug tracker and we
> should prefer them.

Watch out for the parochialism! I like Python as much as the next guy
(probably more :-) but I'm sensitive to choosing the best solution. In
this case I think the criteria should be saving volunteer sysadmin
time in maintenance, conveniece for users, and convenience in
developer time (not necessarily in that order). I don't know any of
the suggested systems well enough to know how they score, so I don't
want to side any particular proposal; but I think we should not base
our argument on "it's written in competing language X". Beware NIH.

Also, we're supposed to be friendly with Java, as we have a major
product in that arena. What if Java folks were to reject a Python
solution because it's not written in Python? Wouldn't we be upset
about the parochialism?

The language choice should only be used as an argument if all else is
equal. Of course, "hackability" of a particular solution may be a
criterion too, and there the language choice could matter. But the
above response sounded like a knee-jerk to me, and IMO needs to be
rebutted.