[Python-Dev] Discussing the Great Library Reorganization

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 30 00:04:49 CEST 2006

Not quite on the same topic, but perhaps it belong there.  I think most of
use use both the stdlib and some selection of other libraries
(MySQL-Python, ReportLab Toolkit, PyChart, and PyXML, for example).  These
libraries have to be managed independently and installed independently.
It would be nice if there were a central repository of "blessed"
extensions to the standard library which could be selectively loaded when
a new version of Python is installed.  There'd also need to be a tool for
checking the extensions for new versions and upgrading since they would
most likely not be maintained in lockstep with Python and its standard
library.