[Python-Dev] Discussing the Great Library Reorganization

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Mar 30 01:39:01 CEST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 10:31, Brett Cannon wrote:
> > I don't have a problem with reorganising the standard library,
> > but what's the motivation for moving everything under a new root?
> > Is it just to allow people to unambigiously get hold of something
> > from the stdlib, rather than following the normal search path?
>
> Yes, it's to make it obvious the module came from the stdlib
> instead of another package.

In that case, I don't see why this couldn't be added to import, rather
than moving all the files around.

> Basically, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have a specific package
> name for the stdlib for in-code documenting instead of thinking
> that perhaps someone just stuck a module directly on sys.path .

I'm not convinced it buys us anything over just using the absolute
import mechanism in the PEP.

> > And what does 'from py import *' do, anyway?
>
> Not much.  =)  It would import the top-level of a bunch of
> subpackages which will most likely not get you to a module, class,
> or function and thus couldn't be used to resolve to anything.

So you're saying that the toplevel of 'stdlib' wouldn't contain any
real modules, but instead they'd be grouped under sub-packages? Good
luck finding a home for everything... trying to categorise everything
will be nearly impossible. And 'from stdlib.misc import foo' will
make me very very unhappy.

Anthony