[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 30 03:07:06 CEST 2006

    >> I haven't been tracking the pysqlite discussion either, but one con
    >> you missed is that regardless of pro #1 people will almost certainly
    >> apply it to problems for which it is ill-suited, reflectly poorly on
    >> both Python and SQLite.

    Fredrik> the arguments keep getting more and more weird.

    Fredrik> is there *any* part of the standard Python distribution that
    Fredrik> cannot be applied to problems for which it is ill-suited?

To many people "SQL" in the name implies "big databases".  I know from
personal experience at work.  The powers-that-be didn't want to support
another database server (we already have Sybase) and didn't want our group's
experimental data "polluting" the production database, so the folks who
wanted it went the SQLite/pysqlite route.  They were immediately bitten by
the multiple reader/single writer limitation and they tried to cram too much
data into it, so performance further sucked.

Skip