[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 30 08:52:41 CEST 2006

At 03:21 PM 3/30/2006 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 March 2006 21:55, Greg Ewing wrote:
> >  >    import db where db.stdlib == True and db.language == "SQL" \
> >  >       and db.interface == "DBAPI2.0"
> >
> > While we're at it, we could spell import "select".  :-)
>
>Getting off on a tangent here, but I would actually
>like some decent way of writing SQL queries in Python --
>not for importing, but for database access.

Listcomps and generator expressions are effectively equivalent to the
nested domain relational calculus -- which is actually more powerful than
SQL (which is based more or less on the tuple relational calculus).

I've been putting off writing a genexp-to-SQL translator for some time now,
but I think somebody else wrote one that actually works; I don't remember
if it's SQLAlchemy or one of the other new Python ORM programs.  I think it
only does the subset of genexps that are easily translated to SQL, but it's
certainly a start.