[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Thu Mar 30 18:14:12 CEST 2006

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Will it also work with e.g. sqlite 2.8.15 (ie. sqlite < v3) -
> this is the standard version on SuSE 9.2.

No, SQLite 3 has a completely different API than SQLite 2.x. If you need
a Python module for it, you can use pysqlite 1.0.1.

>>>Also your statement regarding sqlite3 suggests that sqlite
>>>itself is not included - why not ?
>>
>>For the same reasons we don't include the BerkeleyDB library. Many,
>>many modern operating systems now ship with libsqlite3 (just as they
>>ship with bsddb).  While sqlite is nowhere near the size of
>>BerkeleyDB, it's still a non-trivial amount of code.
>

> If it works with sqlite2 then I agree: these versions are
> usually available on Unixes. sqlite3 is not as wide-spread
> yet.
>
> What about the Windows build ? Will that contain the necessary
> DLLs ?

I proposed to link dynamically on Windows, and ship the Windows
SQLite3.DLL. This has two advantages:

- Python users can upgrade the SQLite3.DLL by a simple download from in
case of emergency
- we could make it so that win32 Python core developers (or the Python
win32 build process) don't have to build SQLite when building Python

-- Gerhard