[Python-Dev] Win64 AMD64 (aka x64) binaries available64

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Mar 30 20:27:45 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> In sys_getwindowsversion:
>>
>>     return Py_BuildValue("HHHHs",
>>                          ver.dwMajorVersion,
>>                          ver.dwMinorVersion,
>>                          ver.dwBuildNumber,
>>                          ver.dwPlatformId,
>>                          ver.szCSDVersion);
>>
>> The crash disappears if I change the first parameter in the
>> Py_BuildValue call to "LLLLs".  No idea why.
>> With this change, I can start the exe without a crash, but
>> sys.versioninfo starts with (IIRC) (2, 0, 5,...).
>
> Very strange. What is your compiler version (first line of cl /?)?
>
> 'H' isn't exactly right, since these are DWORDs, so they
> are unsigned longs, not unsigned ints (so 'k' should be right),
> however, the actually bug apparently is elsewhere - something
> like memory corruption. Can you find out what the value of
> szCSDVersion is (e.g. by putting a printf right before that)?

I would prefer to examine this further when I'm able to compile Python on the AMD64 machine.
Currently I'm not, because the VSExtCompiler Plugin cannot determine the SDK path from
the registry.  This is vsextcomp 0.6.

I have installed the 2003 Server SP1 SDK.  I tried installing the Feb 2003 SDK (since that
did work on a 32-bit machine), but this won't install on XP-64.

Thomas