[Python-Dev] more pyref: a better term for "string conversion"

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon May 1 22:31:53 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> for some reason, the language reference uses the term "string con-
> version" for the backtick form of "repr":

The language reference also says that trailing commas for expressions
work with backticks. This is incorrect. I think this is necessary to
allow nested 'string conversions', so it is a doc error rather than an
implementation error.

I can't think of a better term than string conversion. At least it is
distinct from 'string formatting'.

Personally I think that backticks in code look like an ugly hack and
``repr(expression)`` is clearer. If backticks were documented as a
hackish shortcut for repr then great. :-)

Michael Foord