[Python-Dev] Positional-only Arguments

Benji York benji at zope.com
Tue May 2 19:34:52 CEST 2006

I've not followed the PEP 3102 (keyword-only arguments) discussion
closely enough to know if this has been mentioned, but we were
discussing a need at work today for the ability to enforce position-only
arguments.

The specific instance was an argument that was intended to be used as a
positional argument which a group had began using as a keyword argument
instead.  There was no way for the users to know it was intended for
positional use only.  And it makes refactoring the signature difficult.

Of course you could use *args from the get-go, but ugly signatures as
default isn't nice.

Is there any reason to pursue the idea, or this mostly a misguided
desire for symmetry?
--
Benji York