[Python-Dev] Python long command line options

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu May 4 16:21:16 CEST 2006

Heiko Wundram wrote:

>> Personally, I'm +1, but wonder if it would be enough to support '--help'
>> and '--version'. We then could cut out the "best guess" code and the code
>> to enable --opt=value.
>
> The code for the above functionality is about 10-12 lines of C of the whole
> patch.
>
> If there's concensus to remove it, I'll gladly prepare a patch that doesn't
> contain this, but I don't think it's sensible to do so just because it makes
> the code shorter.

> But, the "best guess" functionality most certainly is  debatable on other grounds.

exactly.  as the zen says, "explicit is better than I know what you mean, even if you
don't mean what I think you mean".

I'm +1 on adding --help and --version, +1 on adding -? and /? for windows only,
-0=slightly sceptical if adding a generic long option machinery is worth it, and -1
on a guessing machinery.

</F>