[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r45898 - in python/trunk:Lib/test/test_os.py Lib/test/test_shutil.py Misc/NEWSModules/posixmodule.c

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Thu May 4 21:01:01 CEST 2006

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Martin v. Löwis]
>> I vaguely recall that we had considered that before, and rejected it,
>> for some reason. Not sure what the reason was, but one might have
>> been that there still is OS/2 code in there, also.
>
> Martin worked up a patch for this in 2002, which he withdrew based on
> mixed reviews (a +0.5 and two -0); the comments still seem relevant:
>
>     http://www.python.org/sf/592529

I think another way of doing it would be to keep the single module
posixmodule (maybe appropriately renamed) and then internally dispatch
function implementations where possible. If the dispatching is done
correctly (through a fixed size virtual table for all the platforms),
BuildBot should be able to tell you quite fast if you forgot something.

At least, this setup would fix the docstring and the largefile issues raised
in your comment in that bug.
--
Giovanni Bajo