[Python-Dev] Python sprint mechanics

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 9 00:23:41 CEST 2006

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Part of the mechanics also involves getting the users set-up on their
> own machines.  For me, it was a complete PITA because of the
> Tortoise/Putty/Pageant/SSH2 dance and then trying to get Python to
> compile with the only compiler I had (MSVC++6).  The advantage of a
> separate sprint repository is that we can essentially leave it unsecured
> and make it easy for everyone to freely checkin / checkout and experiment.
> For the Iceland sprint and bug days, we need a procedure that is
> minimizes the time lost for getting everyone set.  For bug days, it is
> especially critical because a half-day lost may eat-up most of the time
> available for contributing.  For the Iceland sprint, it is important
> because this is just one of many set-up tasks (others include
> downloading and compiling psyco, pypy, etc).

If manual merging-back of patches is acceptable, sprinters (and bug-day
people) could just operate on the 2.5a2 source release, or (if they
manage to master Subversion) on a anonymous subversion checkout.

Of course, putting either the trunk or the 2.5aX sources into another
repository might also work - except that anybody doing the merge-back
would have to come up with sensible commit messages, and (ideally)
sensible attributions.

Regards,
Martin