[Python-Dev] Alternative path suggestion

Martin Blais blais at furius.ca
Tue May 9 23:31:36 CEST 2006

Unfortunately, I have no time to read all the details on this
interesting thread (I wish), but I also have an alternative path
implementation, feel free to scavenge anything from it you might find
useful.   I put it here:

http://furius.ca/pubcode/pub/conf/common/lib/python/ipath.py.html

I think it is similar in spirit to what you proposed, a path being
treated as a tuple, without the separators.  This only makes sense.
Using this class solved some really annoying problems while working on
a project where I developed on my Linux laptop and released on the
client's Windows machines.

(I wish I could contribute in a more participatory way, but I'm really
really swamped.)

Anyway, +1 for a path encapsulation that is not a string, and that
abstracts case-sensitiveness and path separators automatically.

cheers,

On 5/7/06, Noam Raphael <noamraph at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all again!
>
> Thanks to Mike's suggestion, I now opened a new wiki page,
> AlternativePathDiscussion, in
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/AlternativePathDiscussion
>
> The idea is to organize the discussion by dividing it into multiple
> sections, and seeing what is agreed and what should be further
> discussed. I now wrote there what I think, and quoted a few opinions
> from other posts. The posts by others are only a minority - what's
> written there currently is mostly what I think. I'm sorry for the
> inconvinience, but please go there and post your opinions (you can
> copy and paste from your emails, of course).
>
> I apologize first for not replying to each post, and second for only
> writing my opinions in the wiki. I simply write pretty slowly in
> English, and am already developing a growing sleep-hours deficit. I
> hope you forgive me.
>
> Have a good day,
> Noam

Martin Blais