[Python-Dev] python 2.4 and universal binaries

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu May 11 15:13:50 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'd like to backport the patches I've done to the trunk regarding
universal binary support for OSX and endian issues in Mac specific
modules.

The last set seems easy enough, all of those are clearly bugfixes.
I'm not sure if the universal binary patches are acceptable for
backport (and specifically the change to pyconfig.h.in)

The rationale for this is simple: Apple seems to pick up a recent
copy of python for every new major release of OSX (Python 2.2.x for
Jaguar, Python 2.3.0 for Panther, Python 2.3.5 for Tiger) and is
therefore likely to use Python 2.4.x for the next release of the OS.
The official python 2.4 tree currently doesn't support building
univeral binaries. Given that Apple ships a broken universal build of
python 2.3 with the new intel macs I'm worrying that they won't fix
this for their next OS release, which would increase the support load
on the pythonmac-sig list. By adding support for universal binaries
to python 2.4 we'd reduce the change for a broken python in the next
OSX release.

Ronald