[Python-Dev] Py_ssize_t formatting

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sun May 14 12:38:44 CEST 2006

On 5/14/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Georg Brandl wrote:
> >> Right. At least, not with changing structmember.[ch].
> >
> > Did you mean "without"?
>
> Oops, right.
>
> > Can I submit a patch?
>
> I personally don't mind having more types added to structmember,
> so I'm +0 on adding Py_ssize_t to the list of types supported.
> I wonder what the specific application is that you have in mind,
> though.

I ended up needing T_SSIZE_T or T_SIZE_T (I forget which) in my first
attempt to fully Py_ssize-t-ify ctypes (but I was learning a lot about
ctypes at the same time, and I ended up breaking a lot of stuff.) I'm now
not sure whether it's really necessary for ctypes, but it was trivial to
add, not to mention symmetric and completely logical. However, I also have a
C extension of my own that exposes something quite like 'length' as an
attribute, and it really ought to be a Py_ssize_t struct member (instead of
the long it is now.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!