[Python-Dev] pthreads, fork, import, and execvp

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 15 11:26:48 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Yeah, I think imports inside functions are overused.

Rotem took the time to explain the problem to me more fully in private email,
and it appears that using import statements inside functions is currently
fundamentally unsafe in a posix environment where both multiple threads and
fork() are used. If any thread other than the one invoking fork() holds the
import lock at the time of the fork then import statements in the spawned
process will deadlock.

So I believe fixing this properly would indeed require assigning a new lock
object in one of the two places Rotem suggested.

Cheers,
Nick.