[Python-Dev] 2.5 schedule

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sun May 21 16:33:26 CEST 2006

On 5/21/06, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2006, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> > On 5/19/06, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> >>
> >>Remember, the feature freeze isn't until beta1. New stuff can still go
> >>in after the next alpha, before beta1.
> >
> > I agree. Of course, it's preferable to get things in ASAP to get more
> > testing.
>
> Nevertheless, I still think that putting out an alpha during or right
> before a major sprint is awkward at best.  My testing is more focused on
> alpha releases than the trunk, and I think other people work similarly.
> Except for Anthony, the responses you've gotten to this surprising
> change have been negative; this doesn't seem in keeping with our usual
> decision-making process.

Allow me to pitch in my support for speeding up the releases, then. I don't
believe alpha releases (of Python) get serious testing. They wet appetites,
but until the feature-freeze it's really too much in flux to even worry
about extensive testing. Speeding up the releases makes sense to me,
considering how little ruckus they've made so far (in spite of two rather
complex internal changes), and it also means people get their hands on a
beta -- good testing material -- that much sooner.

An acceptable (to me) alternative would be to skip alpha3. The biggest
change is Martin's rewrite of various os.* methods, which IMHO isn't really
that big a deal (it's not *supposed* to change too many semantics, anyway :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!