[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r46064 - in python/trunk: Include/Python.h Include/pyport.h Misc/ACKS Misc/NEWS Modules/_localemodule.c Modules/main.c Modules/posixmodule.c Modules/sha512module.c PC/pyconfig.h Python/thread_nt.h

Luke Dunstan coder_infidel at hotmail.com
Tue May 23 17:28:42 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Martin v. Löwis"" <martin at v.loewis.de>
To: "Neal Norwitz" <nnorwitz at gmail.com>
Cc: "Python Dev" <python-dev at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r46064 - in python/trunk:
Include/Python.h Include/pyport.h Misc/ACKS Misc/NEWS
Modules/_localemodule.c Modules/main.c Modules/posixmodule.c
Modules/sha512module.c PC/pyconfig.h Python/thread_nt.h

> Neal Norwitz wrote:
>> What is the reason for the DONT_HAVE_* macros?  Can we use the HAVE_*
>> versions?
>
> I think the actual rationale is that the contributor didn't want to be
> bothered with modifying configure.in, and running autoconf.

I thought that smaller patches would generally be preferred, but yes it is
also more effort to modify configure, especially when doing development on
Windows. In the case of errno.h there was already 3 occurrences of
DONT_HAVE_ERRNO_H in the source and no occurrences of HAVE_ERRNO_H, and I
wanted to be consistent.

> I accepted the change since systems which don't have, say, <errno.h>,
> are "unusual", in the sense that they aren't standard C systems
> (as standard C mandates errno.h, atleast in a hosted environment).
> So far, only one target platform doesn't have these things (Windows
> CE), so the reasoning is that the burden of setting things right
> should be on that system.

Yes, this is also my reasoning and is supported by the comments in
Include/pyport.h about sys/stat.h.

> Of course, it would be fairly straight-forward to convert this
> to standard autoconf machinery (if one remembers to update
> PC/pyconfig.h accordingly). I'm sure Luke Dunstan would be willing
> to revise the patch in that direction if that is agreed.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Yes, I can do that. But what about the other 3 versions of pyconfig.h in
platform subdirectories?

Luke