[Python-Dev] Need for Speed Sprint status

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sat May 27 06:51:55 CEST 2006

First off, good work to everyone involved.  You did a tremendous job.
I just hope to hell you're done, because I can't keep up! :-)

It would help me enormously if someone could summarize the status and
everything that went on.  These are the things that would help me the
most.

 * What are the speed diffs before/after the sprint
 * What was modified (summary)
 * What is left to do
    - doc
    - tests
    - code
 * Which branches are still planning to remain active
 * Lessons learned, how we can improve for the next time
 * Suggestions for further areas to look into improving

It looks like there were a lot of additions to the string test suite,
that's great.  I'm not sure if the other areas touched got similar
boosts to their tests.  It would be good to upgrade all tests to
verify corner cases of the implementation.  These tests should also be
documented that they are to test the implementation rather than the
language spec.  We don't want to write obscure tests that can't pass
in other impls like Jython, IronPython, or PyPy.

I will turn my amd64 box back on tomorrow and will also run Python
through valgrind and pychecker when I get a chance.  There are a
couple of new Coverity complaints that need to be addressed.

Cheers,