[Python-Dev] feature request: inspect.isgenerator

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon May 29 21:57:43 CEST 2006

Terry Reedy wrote:

>> def isgenerator(func):
>>    return func.func_code.co_flags == 99
>>
>> but it is rather ugly (horrible indeed).
>
> To me, part of the beauty of Python is that is so easy to write such things
> so compactly, so that we do not need megaAPIs with hundreds of functions
> and methods.

so what's so "easy" about the magic constant 99 ?

is there some natural and obvious connection between generators and that
number that I'm missing, or is that constant perhaps best hidden inside
some introspection support module?

(I'm still not sure about the use case, though.  shouldn't a program
treat a generator just like any other callable that returns an iterator?)

</F>