[Python-Dev] Converting crc32 functions to use unsigned

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue May 30 21:05:51 CEST 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 5/30/06, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
>> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>
>> > It seems that we should convert the crc32 functions in binascii,
>> > zlib, etc. to deal with unsigned integers.
>>
>> +1!!
>
> Seems ok, except I don't know what the backwards incompatibilities
> would be...

I think the only compatibility issues we're going to run into are
with the struct module in the way of DeprecationWarning. If people
are depending on specific negative values for these, then their code
should already be broken on 64-bit platforms. The only potential
breakage I can see is if they're passing these values to other
functions written in C that expect PyInt_AsLong(n) to work with the
values (on 32-bit platforms). I can't think of a use case for that
beyond the functions themselves and the struct module.

-bob