[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] stdlib reorganization

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue May 30 22:11:51 CEST 2006

On 5/30/06, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/30/06, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > So, first step in my mind is settling if we want to add one more depth
> > the stdlib, and if so, how we want to group (not specific groupings,
> just
> > general guidelines).
>
> I think that having a package level that exactly matches the divisions
> in the Library Reference (http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html ) would
> be great.

Makes sense to me.

Currently, that would mean packages for:

> 3. Python Runtime Services
> 4. String Services
> 5. Miscellaneous Services

I don't think we necessarily want a misc package.  Should stuff that falls
into here just be at the root level? Besides, some stuff, such as heapq,
bisect, collections, and the User* modules could got into a data structure
package.  I also think that a testing package would make sense.  Could also
have a math package.

6. Generic Operating System Services
> 7. Optional Operating System Services

This includes socket, which I would think would belong more in a
networking-centric package (not including web-specific stuff).  Plus I
believe a threading/concurrency package has been proposed before (which
included hiding 'thread' so that people wouldn't use such low-level stuff).

8. Unix Specific Services
> 9. The Python Debugger
> 10. The Python Profiler

Can't the pdb and profiling going into a developer package?

11. Internet Protocols and Support

Should xmlrpclib be in here, or in something more in line with RPC and
"concurrency"?

12. Internet Data Handling

Should we merge  this with a more generic Internet/Web package?  Have a
separate email package that includes 'email', smtp, etc?

13. Structured Markup Processing Tools
> 14. Multimedia Services
> 15. Cryptographic Services
> 16. Graphical User Interfaces with Tk
> 17. Restricted Execution

=)  This section's not really valid anymore (although I will be fixing that
at some point).

18. Python Language Services