[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] stdlib reorganization

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed May 31 01:09:15 CEST 2006

On 5/30/06, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Steven Bethard]
> > I think that having a package level that exactly matches the divisions
> > in the Library Reference (http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html) would
> > be great.
>
> [Brett Cannon]
> > Makes sense to me.
> >
> [snip]
> > > 5. Miscellaneous Services
> >
> > I don't think we necessarily want a misc package.  Should stuff that
> falls
> > into here just be at the root level? Besides, some stuff, such as heapq,
> > bisect, collections, and the User* modules could got into a data
> structure
> > package.  I also think that a testing package would make sense.  Could
> also
> > have a math package.
>
> That sounds about reasonable.  One possible grouping:
>
> Testing Stuff:
>     * 5.2 doctest -- Test interactive Python examples
>     * 5.3 unittest -- Unit testing framework
>     * 5.4 test -- Regression tests package for Python
>     * 5.5 test.test_support -- Utility functions for tests

Yep, what I was thinking but possibly renaming 'test' to another naming or
putting its functions at the package top level.

Math/Numeric Stuff:
>     * 5.6 decimal -- Decimal floating point arithmetic
>     * 5.7 math -- Mathematical functions
>     * 5.8 cmath -- Mathematical functions for complex numbers
>     * 5.9 random -- Generate pseudo-random numbers
>     * 5.10 whrandom -- Pseudo-random number generator
>
> Data Structures/Collections Stuff:
>     * 5.11 bisect -- Array bisection algorithm
>     * 5.12 collections -- High-performance container datatypes
>     * 5.13 heapq -- Heap queue algorithm
>     * 5.14 array -- Efficient arrays of numeric values
>     * 5.15 sets -- Unordered collections of unique elements
>     * 5.16 itertools -- Functions creating iterators for efficient looping
>
> Stuff I still don't know what to do with:
>     * 5.1 pydoc -- Documentation generator and online help system
>     * 5.17 ConfigParser -- Configuration file parser
>     * 5.18 fileinput -- Iterate over lines from multiple input streams
>     * 5.19 calendar -- General calendar-related functions
>     * 5.20 cmd -- Support for line-oriented command interpreters
>     * 5.21 shlex -- Simple lexical analysis

There are just going to be some things that are odd.  Those will probably
just have to sit at the top-level with no place to stick them so that they
get proper visibility rather than sticking them in misc, forcing people to
hunt in there every time they can't find a specific module that does what
they want.

> > 8. Unix Specific Services
> > > 9. The Python Debugger
> > > 10. The Python Profiler
> >
> > Can't the pdb and profiling going into a developer package?
>
> I thought the same thing when I copied the list over the first time.

Well, there you go then.  It's just *that* good of an idea.  =)

-Brett

Steve