[Python-Dev] Segmentation fault of Python if build on Solaris 9 or 10 with Sun Studio 11

Andreas Flöter Andreas.Floeter at web.de
Tue May 30 19:53:38 CEST 2006

I have filed a bug report "Building Python 2.4.3 on Solaris 9/10 with Sun
Studio 11" 1496561 in the Python tracker. The problem I have encountered is,
that some of the unit tests of the application roundup fail with Python
producing a segmentation fault and dumping core, if Python was build with Sun
Studio 11 (Sun C 5.8). In fact not only some of the unit tests fail, but also
the application roundup at certain steps.

If gcc is used, everything works fine. As Richard Jones suggests, it might be
a problem in the anydbm module. I would rather prefer to use the native
compiler of a platform. To name only two reason, distributing the application
is easier (dynamic library dependencies are most likely met on the target
system) and Sun is maintaining the reference native libraries.

Help would be appreciated, thanks
Andreas