[Python-Dev] Path object design

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:35:33 CET 2006

On 10:06 am, g.brandl at gmx.net wrote:
>> What a successor to os.path needs is not security, it's a better
(more pythonic,
>> if you like) interface to the old functionality.

Glyph:

> Why?

> Rushing ... could exacerbate a very real problem, e.g.
> the security and data-integrity implications of idiomatic usage.

The proposed Path object (or new path module) is intended to replace
os.path.  If it can't do the equivalent of "cd ..", then it isn't a
replacement; it is just another similar alternative to confuse
beginners.

If you're saying that a webserver should use a more restricted
subclass (or even the existing FilePath alternative), then I agree.
I'll even agree that a restricted version would ideally be available
out of the box.  I don't think it should be the only option.

-jJ