[Python-Dev] idea for data-type (data-format) PEP

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 1 22:13:29 CET 2006

Alexander Belopolsky schrieb:
> I would also like to mention one more difference between NumPy datatypes
> and ctypes that I did not see discussed.  In ctypes arrays of different
> shapes are represented using different types.  As a result, if the object
> exporting its buffer is resized, the datatype object cannot be reused, it
> has to be replaced.

That's also an interesting issue for the datatypes PEP: are datatype
objects meant to be immutable?

This is particularly interesting for the extended buffer protocol:
how long can one keep the data you get from bt_getarrayinfo?

Also, how does the memory management work for the results?

Regards,
Martin