[Python-Dev] __dir__, part 2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 23:57:07 CET 2006

tomer filiba wrote:
> cool. first time i build the entire interpreter, 'twas fun :)
> currently i "retained" support for __members__ and __methods__,
> so it doesn't break anything and is compatible with 2.6.
>
> i really hope it will be included in 2.6 as today i'm using ugly hacks
> in RPyC to make remote objects appear like local ones.
> having __dir__ solves all of my problems.
>
> besides, it makes a lot of sense of define __dir__ for classes that
> define __getattr__. i don't think it should be pushed back to py3k.
>
> here's the patch:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1591665&group_id=5470&atid=305470

As I noted on the tracker, PyObject_Dir is a public C API function, so it's
behaviour needs to be preserved as well as the behaviour of calling dir() from
Python code.

So the final form of the patch will likely need to include stronger tests for
that section of the API, as well as updating the documentation in various
places (the dir and PyObject_Dir documentation, obviously, but also the list
of magic methods in the language reference).

+1 on targeting 2.6, too.

Cheers,
Nick.