[Python-Dev] Importing .pyc in -O mode and vice versa

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 7 00:38:57 CET 2006

Greg Ewing schrieb:
> I think I'd be happy with having to do that explicitly.
> I expect the vast majority of Python programs don't
> need to track changes to the set of importable modules
> during execution. The exceptions would be things like
> IDEs, and they could do a cache flush before reloading
> a module, etc.

That would be a change in behavior, of course.

Currently, you can put a file on disk and import it
immediately; that will stop working. I'm pretty sure
that there are a number of applications that rely
on this specific detail of the current implementation
(and not only IDEs).

It still might be worthwhile to make such a change,
but I'd like to see practical advantages demonstrated
first.

Regards,
Martin