[Python-Dev] Importing .pyc in -O mode and vice versa

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Nov 8 02:38:28 CET 2006

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) wrote:

> Would it be reasonable to always do a stat() on the directory,
 > reloading if there's been a change? Would this be reliable across
 > platforms?

To detect a new shadowing you'd have to stat all the
directories along sys.path, not just the one you think
the file is in. That might wipe out most of the
advantage.

It would be different on platforms which provide a
way of "watching" a directory and getting notified of
changes. I think MacOSX, Linux and Windows all provide
some way of doing that nowadays, although I'm not
familiar with the details.

--
Greg