[Python-Dev] ready-made timezones for the datetime module

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Nov 12 21:55:57 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> I guess I should remember, but what's the rationale for not including
>> even a single concrete "tzinfo" implementation in the standard library?
>>
>> not even a UTC class?
>>
>> or am I missing something?
>
> If you are asking for a time-zone database

I was more thinking of basic stuff like the UTC, FixedOffset and
LocalTimezone classes from the library reference:

     http://docs.python.org/lib/datetime-tzinfo.html

I just wrote a small RSS generator; it took more more time to sort out
how to get strftime("%z") to print something meaningful than it took to
write the rest of the code.

would anyone mind if I added the above classes to the datetime module ?

</F>