[Python-Dev] Passing floats to file.seek

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Nov 13 18:16:11 CET 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     >> Right. There seem to be people who believe that 1e6 is an int.
>     Steve> Next thing you know some damned fool is going to suggest that 1e6
>     Steve> gets parsed into a long integer.
>
> Maybe in Py3k a decimal point should be required in floats using exponential
> notation - 1.e6 or 1.0e6 - with suitable deprecation warnings in 2.6+ about
> 1e6.

My remarks weren't entirely tongue in cheek. Once you have long integers
seamlessly integrated there is a case to be made that if the mantissa is
integral then the literal should have an integral value.

Then, of course, we'll get people complaining about the length of time
it takes to compute expressions containing huge integers.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119