[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Robin Bryce robinbryce at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 13:19:50 CET 2006

> Actually, I meant that (among other things) it should be clarified that
> it's alright to e.g. put .pyc and data files inside Python library
> directories, and NOT okay to split them up.

Phillip, Just to be clear: I understand you are not in favour of
re-packaging data from python projects (projects in the distutils
sense), separately and I strongly agree with this view. Are you
opposed to developers choosing to *not* bundle data as python package
data ? How much, if any, of the setuptools / distutils conventions do
you think could sensibly peculate up to the LSB ?

There are a couple of cases in ubuntu/debian (as of 6.10 edgy) that I
think are worth considering:

python2.4 profile (pstats) etc, was removed due to licensing issues
rather than FHS. Should not be an issue for python2.5 but what, in
general, can a vendor do except break python if their licensing policy
cant accommodate all of pythons batteries ?

python2.4 distutils is excluded by default. This totally blows in my
view but I appreciate this one is a minefield of vendor packaging
politics. It has to be legitimate for Python / setuptools too provide
packaging infrastructure and conventions that are viable on more than
linux. Is it unreasonable for a particular vendor to decide that, on
their platform, the will disable Python's packaging conventions ? Is
there any way to keep the peace on this one ?

Cheers,
Robin