[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Wed Nov 29 00:25:49 CET 2006

> I question whether a distro built on Python can even afford to allow
> 3rd party packages to be installed in their system's site-packages.
> Maybe Python needs to extend its system-centric view of site-packages
> with an application-centric and/or user-centric view of extensions?

Agreed, I do not think that should be allowed.  A system site-packages
directory for a python install is a convenient bandaid but not a good
idea for real world deployment of anything third party.  It suffers
from the same classic DLL Hell problem that windows has suffered with
for eons with applications all including the "same" DLLs and putting
them in the system directory.

I'm fine if an OS distro wants to use site-packages for things the OS
depends on in its use of python.  I'm fine with the OS offering its
own packages (debs or rpms or whatnot) that install additional python
libraries under site-packages for use system wide or to satisfy
dependancies from other system packages.  Those are all managed
properly for compatibility at the OS distro level.  Whats bad is for
third party (non-os-distro packaged) applications to touch
site-packages.

-greg