[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Nov 29 10:34:26 CET 2006

On 28-nov-2006, at 22:05, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 11/28/06, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> There's a related issue that may or may not be in scope for this
>> thread.  For distros like Gentoo or Ubuntu that rely heavily on their
>> own system Python for the OS to work properly, I'm quite loathe to
>> install Cheeseshop packages into the system site-packages.
> I wonder if would help if we were to add a vendor-packages directory
> where distros can put their own selection of 3rd party stuff they
> depend on, to be searched before site-packages, and a command-line
> switch that ignores site-package but still searches vendor-package.
> (-S would almost do it but probably suppresses too  much.)

We've been running into this problem on the Mac since Apple started
shipping Python.

There's another standard place that is searched on MacOS: a per-user
package directory ~/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages (the name "site-
packages" is a misnomer, really). Standardising something here is
less important than for vendor-packages (as the effect can easily be
gotten by adding things to PYTHONPATH) but it has one advantage:
distutils and such could be taught about it and provide an option to
install either systemwide or for the current user only.