[Python-Dev] Python and the Linux Standard Base (LSB)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Nov 30 01:34:03 CET 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I'm not sure I like ~/.local though
> - -- it seems counter to the app-specific dot-file approach old
> schoolers like me are used to.

Problems with that are starting to show, though.
There's a particular Unix account that I've had for
quite a number of years, accumulating much stuff.
Nowadays when I do ls -a ~, I get a directory
listing several screens long...

The whole concept of "hidden" files seems ill-
considered to me, anyway. It's too easy to forget
that they're there. Putting infrequently-referenced
stuff in a non-hidden location such as ~/local
seems just as good and less magical to me.

--
Greg